Process Oriented Guided Inquiry Learning (POGIL)
Human Anatomy and Physiology
Five of our guided inquiry activities have now been posted on the HAPS web site. (Look under RESOURCES.) You must be a member of HAPS to gain access to these activities.
All 15 of the activities will be published by POGIL in the next few months.
To help implement POGIL activities, we have created a set of "how to" videos.
The first, original, set of 15 POGIL activities have now been endorsed.
Intro. to Homeostasis
Hormones and Osteoporosis
*Determinants of Blood Oxygen Content
* - Available to HAPS members - HAPS Web - Look under "Resources" or search for "Guided Inquiry"
Plans are in the works to make the above activities available to HAPS members as a benefit of membership, and also for purchase through the POGIL Press program.
A complete set of activities, for a two semester A & P course, are being published by Dr. Patrick Brown sometime in 2014.
(See a list of Dr. Brown's activities at the bottom of this web page.)
If you intend to use POGIL materials in your classroom, we highly recommend attending a POGIL workshop to learn the POGIL teaching method.
We are currently looking for anatomy and physiology instructors to review the following six activities. Reviewers should have previous POGIL experience.
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in reviewing one of the following activities:
Note: After you review one activity, we'll send you a second.
Blood Hematocrit Interpretation
Introduction to Digestive Enzymes
Self vs. Non-Self (Introduction to Immune System)
Vaccinations - Part 1, 2, and 3 (1 - small pox, 2 - polio, and 3 - DPT)
Inside the Body vs Outside the Body
VO2 Maximum Lab Activity - Estimation of VO2 Max values
Send me an email if you are interested in reviewing any of the above activities. email@example.com
You will be asked to fill out an evaluation form after your students have complted the activity.
- Cards for Student Roles (pdf file) (use one set of cards for each group)
- Process Analyst Report Form (pdf file)
- Evidence of Personal Effectiveness Resport Sheet (pdf file)
- High School Biology POGIL (contains some activites that coule be used in A & P)
- Advanced Placement Biology POGIL Workbook.
- High School Chemistry POGIL
Dr. Brown's Activity List - out sometime in 2014
- The Language of Science and Medicine
- Building Blocks of Matter
- Acids, Bases, and pH - Oh my!
- Cell Transport Mechanisms
- Basic Histology
- Skin and Temperature Control
- Membrane Potentials
- The Sliding Filament Theory (This is a two-day activity)
- Conduction of Action Potentials and Synapses
- Reflex Arcs - The Simplest Neural Circuits
- Receptors, receptors, Receptors
- Endocrine Glands and Hormones
- Hormone Mechanism of Action
- Regulation of Hormone Secretion
- Red Blood Cells
- ABO and Rh blood groups
- Cardiac Cycle 1 (systole/diastole, cardiac conduction system)
- Cardiac Cycle 2 (ECG, pressure differences and valves)
- Capillary Exchange
- Innate Immunity
- Adaptive Immunity - B-cells and Humoral Immunity
- Adaptive Immunity - T-cells and Cellular Immunity
- Physiology of the Upper GI tract
- The Renin-Angiotensin System
- Water Balance
- Acid-Base Homeostasis
- Anatomy of Pulmonary Ventilation
- The Menstrual Cycle
- Mendelian Genetics 1 (not POGIL it's PBL)
- Mendelian Genetics 2 (also PBL)
- Making a Person, From Zygote to Gastrula